1. IF IT IS AN EMERGENCY, CALL YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT. They can ensure the immediate safety of a child and get medical attention if needed.
  2. Call your state or local child abuse hotline. Click here to find your state child welfare agency.
  3. If you are unsure how to report, contact the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline or 1-800-4-A-CHILD for more information about how to report in your community.
  4. If you want to report an Internet concern, contact the Cyber Tip Line.


  • Suspicion of abuse is all that is necessary to file a report;
  • Your information can be given anonymously; and
  • You will be asked to describe your concerns about the child and it will be helpful if you can provide: the child’s name, age, address, gender, school attended (if possible), and names of parents.
We commend you on your desire to start an agency to help vulnerable children and youth. The process can be quite complex. You should start your efforts by conferring with state and local child welfare authorities in your community to find out about state regulations, the process for getting started in your state, and so on. You should also reach out to leaders in the community and other key stakeholders to find out what would help to ensure that children, youth, families, and the community flourish.

CWLA does not have the legal authority to investigate, intervene or provide guidance on individual cases or personal matters.

The Administration for Children and Families of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provides information and answers specific questions on a range of child, youth, and family issues at Help for You & Your Family.

Additional resources are listed below. This list is for information only, and inclusion does not constitute an endorsement by CWLA.

1-888-373-7888 or Text BeFree (233733)

1-800-662-HELP (4357)