Parsons's Blueprint for Leadership Development
- Establish at the executive and senior management levels an awareness of challenges
and goals around leadership development and succession. Commit to action.
- Agree to the primacy of the concept of internal development of leadership at senior
management and executive levels, with external recruiting a secondary strategy.
Understand the internal development strategy imposes obligations for the focused
preparation of leadership candidates.
- Consider three phases of leadership development:
- for line staff moving into supervision,
- for supervisors moving into senior management, and
- for senior management moving into executive management.
- Create phase-appropriate content for the standard leadership development components. These components are
- formal training,
- designed experiences ("stretch opportunities"),
- diagnostic appraisal of performance,
- individualized development plans, and
- comparative appraisal of performance.
Subscribe to Children's Voice Magazine
Return to Table of Contents for this issue.
Back to Top Printer-friendly Page