Things You Can Do During National Child Abuse Prevention Month
Raise Public Awareness
- Purchase a Children's Memorial Flag and fly it on the fourth Friday in April, National Children's Memorial Flag Day.
- Distribute information,/a> about Child Abuse Prevention Month and the Children's Memorial Flag. Issue news releases, photographs, public service announcements, and compelling stories to the media, advocacy groups, parent/teacher organizations, police stations, hospitals, community centers, web sites and special interest groups.
Encourage others to order the Children's Memorial Flag
Write, Visit, Fax, Phone, or E-mail your Elected Officials
- Request that your governor, state legislators, county commissioners, and mayor proclaim the month of April as Child Abuse Prevention Month and fly the Children's Memorial Flag.
- Hold a press conference for the signing of proclamations.
- Notify your U.S. Representative and Senators about activities to memorialize children lost to violence.
Participate in Ceremonies to Memorialize Children
- Read the names of children lost to violence in your state, hold a candlelight vigil, or host an event at your state capital to remember those children who were lost to violence. Invite community activists, elected officials, and friends to participate, and encourage them to hold their own events.
Enlist Local Newspapers, TV, and Radio Stations
- Hold a press conference.
- Write a letter to the newspaper editor and encourage others to do so.
- Meet with reporters and the editorial board of your newspaper and urge them to write positive stories about child abuse prevention, recognizing the need to increase our efforts to protect children and highlighting activities built around Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Distribute Promotional Materials in Your Community
- Recruit members of your church, workplace, neighborhood or community center to build awareness about Child Abuse Prevention in your community.
- Post information on your personal/organizational website.
- Distribute child abuse fact sheets, bumper stickers, magnets, bookmarks, and other materials with child abuse prevention information.
Reach out to Businesses in Your Community and Ask Them to:
Be sure to notify CWLA of the actions you are taking. To do so or for more information about the Flag Project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Purchase a Children's Memorial Flag and fly it at their business on the fourth Friday in April, or for the whole month.
- Donate money to individuals or local non-profit organizations, allowing them to purchase the Children's Memorial Flag and fly it on the fourth Friday in April.
- Create a display in their shop or business that spotlights local ceremonies to memorialize children.
- Include an article in their company newsletter informing their employees about what they can do to prevent child abuse and how they can participate and spread awareness about Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Back to Top Printer-friendly Page Contact Us